Retargeting is an online advertising method of displaying ads to users based on prior engagement.
I'm sure you may have noticed personalized banner ads following you around, while you browse the Internet. This happens when you visit a company website but don't purchase, so the company implements retargeting campaigns serving relevant ads to attract you back to their site.
Retargeting is based upon codes placed with HTML of your website. So, when someone visits your website, the code will be able to tag your visitors. This way you can serve them with your display ads all over the web.
Why do I need to consider it?
1 - Increase engagement
Only 2% of your site visitors are likely to make a purchase at the very first visit, what about the remaining 98%. Many business owners overlook the potential of this source. Undertaking a retargeting campaign for those remaining 98% visitors, and out of them even if you manage to recapture 10% of visitors back to site will give a boost to your ROI, instead of ignoring them. By serving personalization ads to visitors who already expressed interest in your site, there are more chances of them coming back to your site to make a purchase. This way you increase engagement, which in turn increase the chances of conversion.
2 - Boost brand visibility
Any and every customer endeavors proper research before they decide to purchase. Therefore, implementing "retargeting campaigns" will keep your brand visible amongst those prospects while they evaluate the competition. This way you evoke those visitors who had left your site earlier and bring them back to your site for making a purchase.
3 - Brand awareness
A customer who visits your site for the first time will not be familiar to your brand, he may have landed on your site either by surfing the or following a link over the Internet. So, there are more chances of them leaving your website on-the-go. Retargeting campaigns delivers a meaningful impression and reminds your visitor displaying relevant ads who previously had limited exposure to your brand.
4 - Increase conversion
Targeting new customers will surely bring in traffic to your site, but retargeting visitors who have already expressed interest in your brand will create more impact, and you aren't wasting budget on users who just won’t convert. Therefore, implementing retargeting campaigns will surely help you increase your returns on investments.
Below are the most common retargeting campaigns, that you can implement:
1 - Site Retargeting: For those visitors who have previously visited your site.
2 - Email Retargeting: For those visitors who have viewed your brand introductory email.
3 - Search Retargeting: For those users who search one of your keywords while browsing the Internet.
4 - Facebook Retargeting: For those users who visits your website, via Facebook.
Don't bombard retargeting ads on daily basis to the same people, as they may not like it and you may end up loosing a loyal customers. You don't want to create an impression that doesn't value privacy, because your retargeting campaign ads will follow those people all across the web.
Retargeting surely serve as a valuable component of a marketing strategy, and will be the most successful marketing campaign if done in correct way.